Thursday, April 25, 2013

Introductory Art Lesson: Part Two - General Tips

Alright, now that we’ve got the practice is important point across, (See Yesterday's Post) I’ll share various tips that I’ve gathered over the years.



Work on your own individual art -
I did a lot of copying when I began. It was very helpful to me, but I wish I had done as much original art as I had done copying. It took me longer to develop my own style.

Learn from other artist’s work -
On the flip side, don’t just draw original work. Studying someone else's art can help anyone learn a lot. It doesn't have to be old, 18th century paintings, it can be as recent or as old as you like. The more I enjoy the picture the more motivated I am to learn and copy from it.


Try different things -
Try different styles, mediums, and subject matter. Most artists benefit from variety, and you may discover something new about your artistic preferences. I’ve also found that a lot of creative people thrive on variety. This last year I’ve done a lot of shoe art, it’s new to me and I enjoy it immensely.

Again, on the flip side, don’t try so many new things you never master a particular medium. I started with drawing, as it’s a great foundation for most every other medium.



Have determination and hold onto it
You know how I said drawing is two parts practice, one part head knowledge, and one part creativity? I should add determination to that list, though I suppose it could be housed under creativity.

Determination is very important. When I was fifteen, I decided I didn’t want to draw decent art, I wanted to draw great art. I drew constantly, I drew from photographs, I drew from other artists, I drew pretty much every day for several months. I began to improve with every drawing.

Now don’t make the assumption that I improved by drawing almost every day. Yes, it was a contributing factor but there was more to it. With every drawing I set my mind that I was going to improve in at least one area. I was going to make the eyes deeper, learn how to do better texture with the skin, etc.

Determination to improve with every drawing, separates a good artist from a great one. Don't ever think you've reached your best, there is always room to improve.

I drew these about seven months apart. (2010 - 2011)


Research
Yes I was mostly self-taught, but I also did my research. I read books on technique, and looked up drawing tips on the internet. There are artists who put up tutorials on eyes, skin texture, how to draw stubble, blond hair, etc. Learn from others.

Talk to other artists –
I’ve talked to countless far more able artists than myself, some have given me help others havn’t. However it’s always worth it to talk to these artists. I’ve had a few that have really taken their time to share tips, and suggestions with me. One wrote an entire page of online resources and personal suggestions for me.

Tomorrow I will cover some art techniques. :) See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment