Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Introductory Art Lesson: Part One - Practice

My name is Rachel Fetting; I’m seventeen, a Christian, and a homeschooler. I’m like everyone else; I wasn’t born with a pencil in my hand. I’ve learned to draw and paint the hard way: with determination and practice. I know that anyone who wants to, can be an artist, it’s not restricted to people who are “born artistic”. Even the few who are born artistic have to develop their talents. 


For majority of my life I have been a self-taught artist. I've heard people say that some people are born artists and others just learn it, but I would disagree. Anyone who has a love of creating art is an artist. Any artist, regardless of their skill level, can always improve and learn new things. Anyone can create art if they want to. Anyone who has the desire can be an artist.

I’ve been mentoring younger artists since I was fifteen. I have had contact with several older artists who would share their insights and that was a valuable experience. I’d like to share some of what I’ve learned, as well as some tips I’ve collected.

First of all, as cliché as it may sound, art is practice. I'd say art is two parts practice, one part head knowledge and one part creativity. 

Left Hand VS Right Hand

I illustrate this by taking out a sheet of paper and drawing a line down the middle, on one side I write left and on the other side I write right. I then quickly sketch a picture on one side with my right hand, and then sketch the same picture on the other side with my left hand. When I finish we laugh about the differences between my two drawings. My right hand (favored hand) always draws a much smoother and cleaner drawing, the lines are neater, better controlled and more accurate. However, my left hand tends to draw imperfect circles, squiggly lines, and sporadic shading. Both drawings were done by me, I put the same time and effort into each drawing, I had the same knowledge of how to shade, the same perspective, the same ability. The only difference is my hand.

I practice with my right hand. I have control over it better. I just know my right hand better than my left. My left hand reminds me of learning to write letters in kindergarten, I'm trying to make my hand do what my brain wants, but I'm trying to make it do something it hasn't practiced.

This is what practice does with drawing. Practice does more than help us understand perspective and techniques, it helps us learn to control our hands, how to make them respond the way we want.

I've heard references to fencers feeling as though the sword is an extension of their arm. With drawing the pencil becomes an extension of our hand. We learn to twist and angle the pencil to make just the strokes we want.

Come back tomorrow for part two! Have you seen improvement in your art from practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment