Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Crayola Watercolor Review

First of all I don't usually do watercolor with Crayola watercolors. However, my first ever "serious" watercolor was done with Crayola, simply because it was the paint I had. It seemed to work really well. I mean as far as kids art supplies, Crayola is one of the best. (Roseart Yuck!)

See look at that pretty watercolor owl. :D



Everything seemed fine, I got the owl framed and he sat against the wall, waiting for a wall to open up so he could be hung. He wasn't in direct sunlight. However one day (about 1-2 years later) when I went to move some of my pictures I stopped in horror as I got a look at my owl. His overall color was faded and worst of all, his grey shading turned pink.


Now Crayola was never intended for fine art use. But I highly, highly recommend you use a different watercolor if you want it to last any period of time. I still keep my crayola watercolors for when I'm watching kids, it work great for their master pieces.

There are places to scrimp and use cheaper materials, but watercolor paint is not one of those areas. There are two things I recommend you get that's at least decent quality: watercolors and paper. Poor watercolors fade and change colors, and lesser quality paper yellows, curls and become frail over time.

(If anyone's interested I currently use Prang Watercolors, I'll review them when I've had them around longer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment