Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Process: The Hobbit

In celebration of the release of The Hobbit on DVD today, (Yay!) I'll share the process of my drawing of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins.

Here's an idea of what my drawing process is. 

 I start out with a sketch. Make sure everything is in proportion. I started on a little shading before I thought to take a picture. Needs to be a very light sketch.

 I always start with the eyes. (Or one eye it seems) I play around with other parts of the drawing to get a feel for it.

 Did the other eye, and started on the hair. Also started on the nose.


 Laid down the darkest shading on his face, to be blended out later on.

 Lay down some more pencil, and start on the sword. 
Only got half an eyebrow there Bilbo.

Now it sort of looks like Martin Freeman, and not some scary guy.
Blend the skin and the blade, begin on the hair. Nose is finally shaped right. (After looking at other references)


 Lay down some pencil on the skin to give it some texture. Begin sketching out the background.

 Darken the contrasts. Do a little more hair so I can see where the background will end.

 Started on the jacket. Added highlights to his face.

 Added some shading to the background. Almost finished with the jacket. Hair is about done.


A lot has happened since the last drawing. I finished the sword blade, and background. The jacket is just about complete. At this point I'm just darkening shadows, upping the contrast.

He's not yet complete, I have one more picture that will go here once I finish the jacket and contrast.




No comments:

Post a Comment